The Competency Based Interviewer Preparation Online Workshop is designed to provide participants with a clear understanding of the theory of best practice in recruitment and selection as well as providing them with an understanding of their responsibilities as interview board members.
At the conclusion of the workshop, attendees will have developed an understanding of:
- A clear understanding of best practice for recruitment and selection process;
- A clear understanding of best practice in competency based recruitment and selection interviewing – the LGMA Recruitment and Selection Procedure 2016 and the Commission for Public Service Appointments (CPSA) and the Public Appointments Services (PAS) Codes and Best Practice Guidelines;
- An appreciation of the importance of identifying and agreeing competency selection criteria;
- An understanding of how to operate effectively as an Interview Board member – i.e. roles and responsibilities etc.;
- Knowledge of relevant interview techniques which make for effective evidence based interviewing;
A basis for enhanced interpersonal skills in the conduct of interviews;
- An awareness and understanding of current employment legislation (in particular Employment Equality, Freedom of Information and Data Protection) and its practical application in recruitment and selection interviewing to ensure they are aware of what questions can and what questions cannot be asked and why;
- A practical appreciation of the approach to evaluating and marking candidates;
- Guidelines on notetaking and candidate feedback.
During the online workshop there will be a focus on:
- The background and context of competency based interviewing;
- The aims and objectives of competency based interviewing;
- The design and development of the job specification (job description and person specification);
How competencies and behavioural indictors are developed;
- Identifying what the role requires and analysing the criteria and competencies required for successful performance in jobs;
- Effective questioning techniques;
- Know what should be addressed in Pre Interview Board Preparation – the role of the chair and the individual board member’s responsibilities and what questions we can/cannot ask;
- Candidate assessment, evaluation and feedback
This course has been modified for delivery as a five hour online course that will be delivered over two x two and a half hour sessions (10:00 to 12:30 and 14:00 to 16:30). It will be delivered remotely via MS Teams and facilitated by subject matter experts.
This online course will be offered on the following dates:
- 17 September 2020
- 16 November 2020