The B.A. (Hons) in Counselling & Psychotherapy with Youth Studies has been designed for individuals who wish to become competent professional practitioners in counselling related fields with a specific focus on Youth Studies. It focuses on the skills, knowledge and approach necessary to work within the youth context, with emphasis placed on the link between theory and practice.
The syllabus covers a diverse combination of theory and competence development. It focuses on areas such as understanding mental health and issues directly affecting young people such as education, health, inequality, racism, suicide and addiction. It is taught using a combination of classroom-based and skill-based learning that allows the learner to avail of blended learning to access classes in person or using on-line facilities to allow for a better work/life/study balance while equipping the learner with the confidence, skills and competencies to work in the addiction area of Counselling & Psychotherapy. While much of the course can be accessed online, in certain modules, mainly Skills Based, attendance is a mandatory requirement.
Having a student-centred approach that offers mentoring and placement support is a cornerstone of this course. Therefore, during work-based learning, each student will be required to undertake 200 hours of Direct client work under strict Clinical Supervision arrangements. All students are supported with Personal Development Modules in the early stages of the Programme and are required to engage in a minimum of 50 Hours of Personal Psychotherapeutic Experience (or equivalent) across the programme. PPE may commence from the Second Semester of Stage 2 of the programme and will continue until Programme Completion. Further information on Placements is available on our website.
This course is delivered over a 4 year full time / part time basis .
· Full time lectures occur in Limerick 3 days per week Tuesday – Thursday during term time (September – May).
· Part time lectures occur in Dublin & Limerick 1 evenings a week from 6-9pm and on Saturdays form 9.30am – 4.30pm during term time September – May)
Why Choose This Programme?
- An innovative course that develops industry-level academic and professional skills in Youth Studies
- Excellent mix of theory, skills and personal development
- Completion of work-based learning in the course
- Validated by QQI (Quality and Qualifications Ireland)
- The programme is led and delivered by lecturers who have extensive skills and practical knowledge required to work in the area
- Blended learning techniques allow the learner to access resources online
Full details can be found on our website: https://ichas.ie/course/b-a-hons-in-counselling-psychotherapy-with-youth-studies