This is a Full time one year course, which runs from September to May. Exact details of the timetable will be given out to students during the induction process prior to class commencement in September.
Whether you’re an absolute beginner or looking to hone your skills, if you want to become a better DJ and music producer then this course is for you. Avail of one-to-one sessions in our dedicated DJ room and play out in our live venue.
Beyond DJing, gain all the knowledge and skills you need for a career in the music industry. This course provides a combination of practical and theoretical tuition in all aspects of sound engineering and music production and is delivered by teachers who are working DJs, producers and musicians. Learn to record performers and musicians in our industry-standard recording studio, and create your own tracks in an all iMac digital sound production facility, fully equipped with state-of-the-art equipment. This course features a high level of training in a wide range of industry-standard music production software including Pro Tools, Ableton Live and Adobe Audition. You will also gain practical experience setting up sound facilities for live performances and location recording.
One of the following:
- Leaving Certificate (LC Established, LCVP, LCA) or equivalent
- A Full Level 4 QQI Award (or equivalent)
- For Mature applicants (aged 21 or over) – appropriate experience will be considered in lieu of formal qualifications. Note: Mature applicants may be entitled to VTOS funding. For details about VTOS, please contact the college.
- Applicants whose first language is not English require level B2 competency on the CEFR language framework. Applicants may be required to undergo English language testing to establish their language competency.
Desktop Multimedia Audio Production
Music Performance (DJ Skills)
Sound Engineering and Production
Radio Programme Production
Level 5 QQI Award Sound Production (5M2149)
As well as learning about DJing and sound recording, students will get the opportunity to gain valuable experience organising gigs, setting up sound facilities for live performances and doing location recording.
This course is supported by FIT, which offers students the opportunity to acquire essential skills to gain employment. Students are given training in job interview techniques and CV preparation.
Specialist resources include:
- Industry-Standard Sound Production Studio with Audient ASP8024HE Heritage Edition console, full set of instruments and assorted hardware effects.
- iMac Digital Sound Studio. Our new iMac Lab replicates real-life industry experience.
DJ Room with full Pioneer DJ setups, including club-standard Pioneer CDJs, XDJs, Mixers and vinyl turntables.
- Digital Radio Studio with Adobe Audition.
- Live venue with stage and sound booth.
- Free Full Suite of Adobe Creative Cloud Software for all students on this course for one year to facilitate assessment work.
Students will be required to undertake a period of work placement in an organisation connected to their vocational area during the academic year. Work Experience is mandatory for all of our full-time Level 5 courses. Students are required to source their own work placement but will be assisted in this by the work experience teacher. The work placement is usually for a period of 10 days or a minimum of 60 hours. Students usually find the work experience element of the course to be invaluable and should bear in mind that a successful work placement can sometimes lead to further opportunities.