Award: University Certificate of Study
This module aims to introduce students to the requirements of a Doctorate in Engineering (DEng). It is aimed at those who have an interest in starting doctoral level studies related to their professional practice.
The module involves a reflective component exploring the following:
- What is a doctorate?
- How to develop a professional portfolio?
- What is knowledge – academic and professional knowledge?
- Philosophy of research. Professional development.
- The Engineer as a Professional. Delivering a unique contribution to professional knowledge.
- Identification and assessment of on-going research within their profession; Engineering Ethics, Engineers in Society, Responsibility in Engineering.
Participants will be required to identify a problem that is significant to their industry or profession to propose an appropriate approach to solving this problem. This problem definition will form the basis of a submission to the Professional Doctorate in Engineering Academic Board.
The module will be delivered during a 1-day workshop followed by support sessions (one-to-one, group, on-campus or online as necessary), to develop a reflective portfolio. The module will be assessed on a pass/fail basis after paper submission and presentation to the Academic Board.
Successful students can apply for a place on the Doctorate in Engineer (DEng) course.