This part-time Level 6 certificate is designed for those who have little or no professional experience but wish to extend their knowledge of interpersonal and counselling skills prior to undertaking more advanced educational training in counselling at degree level. It is also relevant for healthcare professionals, teachers, social workers, managers, customer services, sports coaches and others.
It serves as an excellent introduction to the area of counselling and teaches general counselling skills that will benefit people in both their personal and professional lives. This programme is suitable for those who wish to study both Counselling and Psychotherapy at a foundational level, either to support existing roles or as a point of initial discovery as to whether a Major Award might be something that they wish to pursue.
- Theoretical Perspectives in Counselling & Psychotherapy
The aim of this module is to introduce a range of theories central to counselling and psychotherapy placing them in their social, cultural, philosophical, and historical contexts.
- Essential Counselling & Psychotherapeutic Skills
The aim of this subject is to teach students the attributes and foundation skills necessary to work and understand their role in areas of practice such as Counselling & Psychotherapy.
Why choose this Programme?
The overall aims of the Certificate in Foundational Skills & Competence in Counselling & Psychotherapy are to:
- Provide quality assured undergraduate Minor Award in Counselling and Psychotherapy related skills and competence for students who seek to develop foundational level knowledge and competence in counselling related skills
- Commence an educational journey with a view to subsequent study in programmes that would lead to eligibility for professional accreditation.
- Provide a programme that, through interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary engagement, models best evidence-informed skills in the fields of Counselling which is well informed by psychotherapeutic theories.
- Demonstrate heightened awareness of theoretical and applied practices in Counselling related fields.
- Enable students to employ foundational counselling competencies by creating and modelling learning opportunities where learners can participate successfully within the context of their own strengths and abilities.
- Provide opportunities to engage in personal reflection to enhance knowledge and greater awareness of the competencies required for professional practice.
- Provide access routes to major awards in Higher Education in counselling related areas.
Students gain practical experience as well as theoretical understanding of the area of counselling which they can later apply both personally and professionally.
Classes are conducted on a part-time basis, comprising of one evening a week for 12 weeks.
Small class sizes ensure that you get the one-on-one attention needed to perfect your counselling skills.
Graduates can apply for further higher-level studies in the field.
The knowledge, skills, and competence required to successfully participate in and complete the Programme are outlined below:
All applicants must be over 18 years of age.
Applicants will be required to have basic IT literacy, skills, and competence,
For non-native speakers of English, a C score in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFRL) or an equivalent IELTS score of 6.0 is required.
Graduates of the Certificate in Counselling and Psychotherapeutic Skills and Practice will have a good basis for professional progression in the counselling sector while they will have developed key life skills that can be applied freely to other professions.
Graduates of the Certificate in Counselling and Psychotherapeutic Skills and Practice course are eligible to advance to progress to any of the Level 8 BA programmes in the field of Counselling Skills & Psychotherapy Studies, Counselling Skills & Addiction Studies or Counselling Skills and Youth Studies within ICHAS. Should you wish to proceed with the ICHAS Degree Programme, tuition fees for this degree will be reduced in year 1 but the amount paid for this course.
for more information please visit www.ichas.ie or call our admissions department at 061216288