WHAT IS CHILDCARE?
This two-year course will aim to prepare students for work with young children in the rapidly expanding world of childcare and crèche supervision/management. The childcare worker needs social, communication and caring skills to work with individuals and groups. Childcare will lay a foundation for these skills and provide the work experience to put learning into practice. This course will serve as training for crèche/ community care/healthcare industries or as a link to childcare or early childhood education courses in many Universities throughout the country and the UK. Successful applicants can also gain employment as a Special Needs Assistant in a range of educational settings. This programme is ideal for both school leavers and experienced mature persons seeking a qualification in this area.
Level 5 – Year 1
• Professional Practice Placements in Early Learning and Care • Legislation, Regulations and Children’s Rights • The Developing Child • Curriculum, Play and Creative Studies • Understanding and Assisting Children with Additional Needs • Holistic Care of Children
Level 6 – Year 2
• Advanced Professional Practice Placements in Early Learning and Care • Sociology and Social Policy in Early Learning and Care • Developmental Psychology • Curriculum and Pedagogy • Supervision and Leadership in Early Learning and Care • Inclusive Early Learning and Care • Administration in the Early Learning and Care Sector
• 2 Year QQI Level 6 in Early Learning and Care (option of exiting after year 1 with a QQI Level 5) • First Aid Response • Child Protection Course
Graduates may pursue level 7/8 Early Childhood degree courses in Maynooth University, DCU, University of Limerick, UCC, Marino Institute of Education, as well as in TUD Blanchardstown, South East Technological University Carlow. Graduates may apply to progress to Year 3 of Early Childhood degrees in many UK Universities. Students may also seek immediate employment in a range of childcare centres, classrooms or community initiatives. Early Learning and Care graduates may be eligible to access the 175 places in First Arts in Maynooth University, or progress to Social Care/Social Study degree programmes in TUD and Primary School Teaching.
EXAMPLES OF HIGHER EDUCATION PROGRESSION:
Maynooth: MH801 Early Childhood Teaching and Learning (Level 8, 3 Years) TUD Blanchardstown: TU993 Early Childhood Care and Education (Level 8, 4 Years) Marino Institute of Education: CM020 Early Childhood Education (Level 8, 4 Years) TUD City Campus: TU995 Early Childhood Education (Level 8, 3 Years) DCU: DC001 Early Childhood Education (Level 8, 4 Years) St. Nicholas College: NM801 Montessori Education (Level 8, 4 Years) Optional Year 2 QQI Level 6 Available NUIM: MH101 Arts (Level 8, 3 Years) DCU: DC235 Education & Training (Level 8, 3-4 Years) South East Technological University Waterford / Carlow: WD231 Early Childhood Care and Education (Level 8, 4 Years), CW748 Early Childhood Education & Care (Level 8, 4 Years) TUD Blanchardstown: TU790 Early Childhood Care and Education (Level 7, 3 Years) DKIT: DK876 Early Childhood Studies (Level 8, 4 Years) TUD Tallaght: TU989 Early Childhood Care and Education (Level 8, 4 Years) Sunderland University (UK): Entry to Year 3 of BA in Childhood Studies (Level 8, 3 Years) Graduates from this programme are eligible to apply directly for various degree programmes in most UK universities.
• Leaving Cert or LCA • Mature students of all backgrounds • Other equivalent qualification All applicants may be interviewed regardless of previous qualifications.
ADDITIONAL ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
• All applicants for this programme will be interviewed and must complete a literacy assessment. • To successfully complete this programme students must have an 80% attendance.
Apply directly at www.dunboynecollege.ie