This is a one-year childcare course designed to provide students with the knowledge, practical skills and competence required to pursue a career in the Early Learning and Care sector.
The course enables learners to work both independently and part of a team in an Early Learning practice providing holistic care and learning experiences for children from birth to six years of age. The course is suitable for both school leavers and experienced or mature students seeking a formal qualification.
- Professional Practice Placement in ELC
- Children’s Rights, Legislation and Regulations
- Holistic Care of Children (Birth to 6 Years)
- Early Childhood Growth and Development
- Curriculum, Play and Creative Studies
- Understanding and Assisting Children with Additional Needs
- Option to repeat Leaving Certificate Irish
- People Handling
- Infection Control
- Tulsa Child Protection Course
- Option to repeat Leaving Certificate Irish (for future entry to Professional Masters in Primary Teaching).
QQI Level 5 certificate – 5M21473
The following requirements are necessary to access and successfully complete the course:
- 150 hours work experience in a minimum of 2 settings catering for children aged (0 – 2 years & 8 months) and (2 years & 8 months to 6 years)
- Garda Vetting
- English Language and Literacy Competency
Successful graduates can opt to go directly into the world of work in nurseries, playgroups, crèches, with private families or work as an AIM Assistant in an Early Years Setting. Alternatively, graduates may opt to continue to Stage 2 of the course to complete the QQI Level 6 Early Learning and Care course within DIFE or progress to related degree courses