The BA in Applied Management (Human Services) is a QQI accredited (Level 7) 3-year degree programme created by, and for people working in the human services and non-profit sector. It provides participants with the knowledge and skills required to manage for the good of:
- Services users
- The organisation, and
- People who work with it
In so doing, they become advocates for change and key influence makers capable of initiating, leading and delivering change that will result in empowerment and improved, quality service provision.
Successful completion of Year One will lead to a Certificate in Applied Management (Human Services). This is a QQI approved Award (7M15631) at Level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).
Successful completion of Year Two of the programme will lead to a Higher Certificate in Applied Management. This is a QQI approved Award (7M15633) at Level 6 on the NFQ.
Successful completion of Year Three will lead to a BA in Applied Management degree. This is a QQI accredited Major Award (7M15634) at Level 7 on the NFQ.
It is an applied programme addressing real world challenges. The course materials deal with management issues specific to human services and the nonprofit sector. That makes it much easier to apply what you learn. Similarly, our assignments tackle issues that you are likely to face in the workplace. While undertaking them you will have access to our expert tutors and a community of people who are almost certainly trying to deal with the same issues. As such, successfully completing the course will provide you with a unique opportunity to address real world challenges and improve the quality of service your organisation delivers.
Year 1: Certificate in Applied Management
First year provides a grounding in general management theory and practice and how it applies to the human services and non-profit sector. You will also have the opportunity to acquire and develop the core skills required to effectively perform a first line management role. During it you will:
- Examine the principles and practices of first line management
- Explore Person Centred Human Services as a management issue
- Begin developing practical management skills including: communication skills, team building, conflict management and motivation
- Be introduced to the legislative and policy environment in which human service and non-profits operate
- Start looking at the financial management of sector-specific organisations
- Management, Professional Development and Ethics
- Key Management Skills – Teamwork, Leadership and Communications
- Budget Management
- Essential Employment Law
- Managing for Regulation and Inspection
- Managing Service Quality and Safeguarding
Year 2: Higher Certificate in Applied Management
During the second year you will develop your practical skills and competencies while exploring in greater detail, the fundamental management issues driving the sector. You will:
- Learn to lead a human services or non-profit team
- Explore change and empowerment as management issues
- Examine Human Resource Management (HRM) and the legislative, operational and organisational context in which it operates in a human services and non-profit organisation
- Develop advanced management competencies including: engaging in ‘critical thinking’, developing ‘emotional intelligence’ and utilising ‘action learning’
- Investigate how organisational factors determine your ability to perform your management role
- Examine in greater detail the financial management requirements, challenges and issues animating the operation of organisations in he human services and non-profit sector
- Human Resource Management and Supervision
- Financial Management
- Creative Problem Solving and Action Learning
- Management of the Individualised Service
- Change Management
Year 3: BA in Applied Management
The final year provides the opportunity to enhance your research, analytic and advanced management skills to become an effective leader, one capable of achieving measurable change leading to improved quality of service provision. You will learn to:
- Understand the political and legislative context in which human services and non-profit organisations operate
- Critically analyse the current state of your organisation and map out potential futures for your organisation
- Understand and resolve conflict within your organisation
- Undertake project management to achieve change that tangibly improves the quality of service your organisation delivers
- Design, deliver and oversee an individualised service informed by best practice and committed to quality
- Research Methods
- Social Policy for Human Service Organisations
- The Manager as Coach and Mentor
- Leadership and Learning Organisation
- Project Management
What are the Course Entry Requirements?
Applicants must be 23 years at time of application OR have successfully completed the Leaving Certificate/QQI/FETAC Level 5 Certificate. Applicants are expected to be currently working in the human services, community or not for profit sector and need to be able to apply their learning to an appropriate work setting. International applicants must provide appropriate documentary evidence of proficiency in English (i.e. IELTS 6.0).
How to Apply?
Applications for this course are accepted through the OTC online application centre at opentrainingcollege.com. To apply, you will need to:
- Satisfy the entry requirements for the programme
- Provide a range of documents to support your application
- Submit a personal statement explaining why you want to apply
The next commencement of the Certificate in Applied Management is January 14th, 2019 (application deadline is January 3rd, 2019)
The next commencement of the Higher Certificate in Applied Management is January 7th, 2019 (application deadline: January 3rd, 2019 for those to have completed the Certificate course)
The next commencement of the BA in Applied Management is October 7th, 2019.
For more information please contact Conor via the enquiry form on opentrainingcollege.com, email him at email@example.com; or call him on 01-2990580.