Post Leaving Certificate (PLC) courses are further education programmes available to students who have completed their Leaving Certificate as well as adults returning to full-time education. PLCs are offered through a wide variety of both state run and private colleges and many are now available via online or blended learning methods.
Traditionally these courses were viewed as suitable for those hoping to develop technical or vocational skills in order to enter employment. However they have become popular with students for the wide range of interesting programmes on offer which also provide a path to onward study at third level. The further education route may suit those who are not yet sure which higher education course to choose and which specific area of study they would like to focus on. PLC courses are also useful for those who may wish to gain some experience in a particular field of study before committing to this fully. PLCs typically lead to QQI awards at NFQ level 5 and NFQ level 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
There are plenty of courses to choose from and listed below are some of the most popular categories:
- PLC courses in childcare are hugely popular and there is a generous selection to choose from, with childcare courses available in locations all over the country. Courses such as Childcare Supervision, Childcare Management, Childcare with Special Needs and Childcare with Montessori are just some of the courses that are offered in colleges such as Tralee Community College, Sallynoggin Community College and Cork College of Commerce. Most courses result in a NFQ level 5 or 6 on successful completion and provide the student with the skills to work in a range of different childcare settings such as crèche, Montessori, nanny or supervisors.
View Childcare PLC Courses on Findacourse.ie
- Pre-nursing PLCs are ideal for those wishing to pursue a career in nursing. In these courses, offered in locations such as Cavan Institute, Central College Limerick and Dun Laoghaire Further Institute of Education, students receive an introduction to all aspects of the nursing profession and most result in a QQI level 5 qualification, allowing for the continuation on to further studies. Dental Nursing PLCs are also available in Cavan Institute and Marino College of Further Education.
View Pre-Nursing PLC Courses on Findacourse.ie
- Hair and Beauty PLCs are a popular choice for many and there are plenty of courses to choose from, including Introduction to Hairdressing QQI level 5 and Professional Hairdressing level 6; both of which are taught at Dunboyne Community School, Meath. Other courses such as Beauty Therapy in Bray Institute of Further Education and Beauty and Holistic Therapies in Drogheda Institute of Further Education are also on offer. These courses are ideal for those looking for a career in the beauty industry and provide students with an NFQ level 4, 5 or 6 qualification on successful completion.
View Hair and Beauty PLC Courses on Findacourse.ie
- Engineering PLCs are ideal for preparing students for further studies in the field of engineering, including jobs such as an electrician, plumber, civil engineering, mechanical engineering and an electronic technician. The courses result in either a NFQ level 5 or 6 qualification and are available in St. Kevin’s College Crumlin, Wexford Vocational College and Listowel Community College to name a few.
View Engineering PLC Courses on Findacourse.ie
- There are plenty of PLCs in computers to choose from. The choice includes Business and Computers, Multimedia and Computers, Accounting and Computer applications and many more. Courses provide either a QQI level 5 or 6 on completion and give students a solid foundation and skills to allow them to continue their education or, in some cases, enter employment. Castlerea Community School, Stillorgan College of Further Education and Sligo College of Further Education are just some of the providers. View Computer PLC courses on Findacourse.ie
- View more PLC and Further Education Courses on the Findacourse.ie PLC Course Listings Page
With over 1,000 courses available in 229 centres nationwide, there is something to suit everyone when it comes to choosing a further education (PLC) course.