The purpose of this award (which was developed in collaboration with Fáilte Ireland) is to enable learners to acquire the relevant knowledge, skills and competencies to work effectively as a Tourist Guide in the greater Dublin Region and surrounding area.
It also provides learners with the necessary business skills needed to start their own tour guiding business.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- Plan and implement themed tour itineraries in Dublin and the surrounding areas.
- Demonstrate an understanding and knowledge of Irish cultural and heritage in Dublin and surrounding areas.
- Develop a range of communication, information and customer care skills.
- Become confident in using digital media skills to promote tourism products and services to target potential customers.
- Manage and conduct tours on as a self-employed guide or work for an incoming tour operator.
- Implement best safety and environmental practices.
- Implement tour management skills and techniques.
One Year – 2 days per week for those students who wish to achieve the Regional Tour Guiding Award.
For those students who wish to also achieve the Level 6 Award in Business, the course is full-time.
Leads to NFQ Level 6 QQI Special Purpose Award in Regional Tour Guiding (6S20233)
plus option to achieve NFQ Level 6 QQI Award in Business (6M4985)
The course is targeted at students who have a genuine interest in working as a Tour Guide. Prior qualifications or experience in this area would be an advantage, but are not required. Since places are limited, applicants will be interviewed. Tour guiding is particularly suited to people who are good communicators, are outgoing and who enjoy interacting with others. Planning and organisational skills are important skills and fluency in a second language is an advantage.
Those students who achieve the full Level 6 Business Award will have the option to progress to a large number of courses in Higher Education including:
- DIT 412 Tourism Marketing
- DIT International Hospitality Management
- DT413 Event Management
- TA015 International Hospitality & Tourism
- TA 026 International Hospitality & Tourism Management
- DL822 Cultural Enterprise