The Special Needs Assistant course is designed for learners who wish to progress from a FETAC Level 5 to a FETAC Level 6 qualification. The course content is structured to give a broader, knowledge and understanding of the issues surrounding disabilities and or learning difficulties.
The Special Needs Assistant Level 6 course is ideal for Learners who wish to:
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of national and local models, multi-disciplinary teams, health and safety issues and educational provisions for children and young people with special needs.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the relevant concepts, theories and principles underpinning curriculum implementation.
- Create learning opportunities by devising and implementing Individual Education Plans (IEP’s) and individual behavior Plans (IBP’s) and introduce exercises that teach the child to look after themselves and their property which ultimately encourages independence, respect, self-esteem and responsibility.
- Assess the roles and responsibilities, and skill sets required by the SNA to assist the teacher in implementing the National curriculum.
Portobello Institute Diploma in Special Needs Education
QQI Level 6 minor award (6N1957) in Special Needs Assistant
Entry to this course is by direct application to the college. Students must have gained QQI Level 5 Component Certificate Special Needs Assistant or equivalent to gain entry. There are no previous academic requirements.
This is a part time course. Students must complete 20 hours work experience.
Course Content Modules
- Understanding Education, Health and Safety, Teach methodologies, Educational Philosophy and Practice
- Literacy: Identifying the conditions for learning language and how to implement these according to learning programmes
- Mathematics: Learning skills to support the teaching of mathematics and to devise strategies to assess mathematical ability
- Observations: Methods and techniques for assessing, planning and evaluating.