The overall aim of this social studies course is to equip learners with knowledge and competence in social studies with a focus on employment in a social care setting. The module is designed for those wishing to gain an understanding of sociology and social studies and develop awareness of social issues in their own environment, both professionally and societally. The module aims to provide a current overview of social studies as a subject and also as it applies to society in Ireland today. The programme will also equip learners with research skills enabling them to develop their understanding relevant social issues. The Programme covers:
- An introduction to social studies and sociological theories.
- The concepts of socialisation and social stratification.
- Key themes in social studies: Culture, Gender, Religion, Race/ethnicity, Discrimination in Irish society, Family, and Globalisation.
- An overview of Primary and Secondary research techniques.
- The role of qualitative and quantitative research and techniques for conducting both.
- Reporting findings and drawing conclusions from research activities.
This distance learning, QQI accredited course means that students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification. This course is designed for those working in not-for-profit organisations, social startups, health sector, charities and public sector.
By choosing to study this social studies course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access
Who should complete this course?
- Those interested in persuing employment in social care and social work.
- Social workers and individuals in administration roles within education, healthcare or social care environments.
People who wish to gain a professional, accredited qualification in the subject matter by home study distance learning
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Level 4 Certificate / Leaving Certificate (or equivalent) or relevant life or work experience.
- You will be required to conduct a small focus group (minimum 3 people) as part of your research for this course.
- As this NFQ level 5 social studies course is delivered through English it is necessary learners will have sufficient written English skills to complete this course.
- A basic working knowledge of computers and access to a computer with internet access is required to do the course.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland.
Topics covered in this social studies course
1. Introduction to social studies
2. Key themes in social studies
3. Collecting data and drawing conclusion
- This social studies course is assessed through completion of a Project and an examination. The exam will take place in a CMIT exam centre, Contact the college for details.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.