This distance learning, QQI accredited Psychology course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
This course is aimed at providing learners with introductory level knowledge of the major theories and concepts in psychology. It aims to equip learners with competencies needed to describe and explain the principles, concepts, and main therapies for major psychological perspectives. They will also gain an understanding of the science behind psychology including forming a research question, subjects and samples, the experimental method and design.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments for this QQI Psychology course online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this QQI Psychology course?
- People considering a career in counselling, people management, teaching, or communications.
- People in healthcare careers who wish to gain a greater understanding of the human psyche.
- People who wish to gain an accredited qualification in Psychology and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Leaving Cert, Level 4 award or equivalent, and/or relevant Life or Work Experience.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland and hold a valid PPS Number.
- Candidates must be fluent in English with excellent written English Skills in order to achieve the assessment criteria. Queries on the standard required can be directed to the college.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
Topics covered in this QQI Psychology course
Unit 1: Introduction
What is Psychology?
What is Psychotherapy?
Unit 2: Major theories of psychology
Unit 3: Key concepts in psychology
Feeling and emotion
Stress and anxiety
Unit 4: Psychotherapy techniques
Psychological disorders and therapies
Psychodynamic Therapy (Psychoanalysis)
Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
Ethical issues in diagnosing and treating abnormal behaviour
- This Psychology course is assessed through completion of an Assignment and a theory-based Examination.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This Psychology course leads to a Level 5 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this Level 5 component certificate as credit towards the following QQI Major Award: Level 5 Healthcare Support (5M4339). For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 5 component certificate in Psychology (5N0754) from QQI.
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.