This distance learning, QQI Human Growth and Development course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
This module is aimed at providing learners with the knowledge and skills needed to understand the various stages and patterns of human growth and development and identify variations in normal development. It will equip learners with competencies needed to work effectively in a variety of care settings and to meet the needs of those receiving care. Learners will gain an insight into prejudices, fears, and anxieties around working with those who require care and gain the skills necessary to overcome these fears.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments for this QQI Human Growth and Development course online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this QQI Human Growth and Development course?
Healthcare workers, care assistants, childcare workers or people who wish to gain a professional, accredited qualification in the subject matter and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Leaving Cert, Level 4 award or equivalent, and/or relevant Life or Work Experience.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland and hold a valid PPS Number.
- Candidates must be fluent in English with excellent written English Skills in order to achieve the assessment criteria. Queries on the standard required can be directed to the college.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
Topics covered in this QQI Human Growth and Development course
Unit 1: Introduction to Physical Development
The stages of human growth and development
Factors that affect physical growth and development
Physical development norms
Unit 2: Cognitive Development
The stages of cognitive development
Factors that affect cognitive growth and development
Cognitive development norms
Unit 3: Psychosocial Development
The stages of psychosocial development
Factors that affect psychosocial growth and development
Psychosocial development norms
Unit 4: Working with People in Care
Types of people with care needs
Physiological, safety, social and emotional needs
Identifying prejudice, fears and anxieties
- This Human Growth and Development course is assessed through completion of two assignments and an online theory-based examination. The assessment for this module aims to evaluate understanding of module theory as well as practical activities.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This Human Growth and Development course leads to a Level 5 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this Level 5 component certificate as credit towards the following QQI Major Award: Level 5 Healthcare Support (5M4339). For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 5 component certificate in Human Growth and Development (5N1279) from QQI.
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.