The aim of the Certificate in Audit Skills (CAS) is to develop the skills and knowledge of public sector internal auditors in order to carry out effective audits and make a greater contribution to the governance of their organisations. The Certificate is an issues-based course focused on skills enhancement to meet the ever-changing needs of the auditor in delivering an added value and quality service. The programme examines in detail, and in a very practical manner, the key areas of the work of an internal auditor.
A key feature of this programme is that the students take part in a case study that has been designed to simulate the audit process and issues an internal auditor faces when carrying out an audit.
The course programme has been designed for internal auditors who have some basic knowledge and practical experience of internal audit. The course is not suitable for staff who are new to the function as it is recommended that such staff attend the Institute’s Introduction to Internal Audit course and then consider undertaking the CAS when they have acquired experience of undertaking audits.
Delivery and Duration
This programme is delivered over four months with four x three day tutorials. The next programme is scheduled as follows:
Module 1: 25-27 September 2018
Module 2: 22-24 October 2018
Module 3: 27-29 November 2018
Module 4: 17-19 December 2018
Tutorials will take place at the Institute of Public Administration in Dublin. Classes typically run from 9:30 to 5:00 on tutorial dates.
*Dates may be subject to change.
The programme covers, in detail, the following topics:
- Context of Internal Audit
- Interpersonal Skills
- Strategic Audit Management and Planning
- Audit Approach and Techniques, Audit Fieldwork & Evidence
- Value for Money
- Audit Reporting
- Specific Audit Approaches
- Audit of European Union Funding
- Internal Audit and Audit Committees
- Case Study
The Certificate in Audit Skills is accredited by the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA).
In order to be awarded the Certificate in Audit Skills each participant must demonstrate:
– Satisfactory attendance record on the programme
– Satisfactory completion of three prescribed course assignments
– Satisfactory participation in the Case Study
– Maintenance of a Portfolio of Evidence which demonstrates the application of learning in the workplace