Ask a question

- OR -
I have read & agree to privacy policy

Am looking at doing a vtos course and wondering what is the difference between this and a plc course?
"If you are over 21 years of age, are unemployed and have been getting certain social welfare payments for at least 6 months you can apply for the Vocational Training and Opportunities Scheme (VTOS). This scheme provides a range of courses to meet the education and training needs of unemployed people. It gives participants opportunities to improve their general level of education, gain certification, develop their skills and prepare for employment, self-employment and further education and training.

VTOS is operated through local Education and Training Boards and is aimed in particular at unemployed people who are early school-leavers.

The courses range from basic education and training to advanced vocational training and there is a wide choice of subjects. The courses are full-time, about 30 hours a week (for example, 6 hours a day for 5 days) and can last up to 2 years. Many courses lead to qualifications such as the Junior Certificate, Leaving Certificate and awards at Levels 3, 4, 5 and 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications.

Courses at levels 5 & 6 would be similar to PLC courses (PLC Courses are also certified at levels 5 & 6).

Contact your local ETB to find out more about VTOS courses in your area."
Did you find this information helpful? yes 5 no 0