This distance learning, QQI Nutrition course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
This course is designed to equip the learner with the knowledge and competence in the area of human nutrition to include the nutritional composition of food and the effects of food and nutrition on an individual’s health and personal wellbeing.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments for this QQI Nutrition course online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this Nutrition course?
People who wish to pursue a career in the health, nutrition and physical fitness industries or people who wish to gain an accredited qualification in Nutrition and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Leaving Cert, Level 4 award or equivalent, and/or relevant Life or Work Experience.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland and hold a valid PPS Number.
- Candidates must be fluent in English with excellent written English Skills in order to achieve the assessment criteria. Queries on the standard required can be directed to the college.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
Topics covered in this QQI Nutrition course
Unit 1: Introduction to nutrition
Recommended levels of nutrition
How the body absorbs nutrients
The food pyramid
Basal Metabolic Rate
Unit 2: Macronutrients
Unit 3: Micronutrients
Vitamin and mineral deficiency
Micronutrient retention factors
Unit 4: Nutrition and health
Diet related diseases
Common eating disorders
- This Nutrition course is assessed through completion of two assessments and an exam.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This Nutrition course leads to a Level 5 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this level 5 component certificate as credit towards the following QQI Major Award: Level 5 Healthcare Support (5M4339). For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 5 component certificate in Nutrition (5N2006) from QQI.
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.