This distance learning, QQI Infection Prevention and Control course means that Students can study flexibly at home, or at work, and can gain a nationally accredited Qualification.
This course is designed to provide the learner with an understanding of Infection Prevention and Control relevant to care settings and to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to prevent and control infection within the health services area.
By choosing to study this course with CMIT, Students have 24×7 access to CMIT eLearning for the duration of the course. This includes a comprehensive Course Manual, Video, Quizzes and personalised Tutor Support. The course documentation for this QQI certified course is detailed and easy to read. You will also be able to upload assessments for this QQI Infection Prevention and Control online and receive online feedback. You can use the eLearning system from any computer that has internet access.
Who should complete this Infection Prevention and Control course?
- Healthcare workers, care assistants, or people who wish to gain a professional, accredited qualification in Infection Prevention and Control and wish to study at their own pace, and in their own time.
Entry Requirements / Prerequisites
- Leaving Cert, Level 4 award or equivalent, and/or relevant Life or Work Experience.
- Applicants who are not currently in employment in a registered healthcare setting will be required to undertake 20 hours work experience in a registered healthcare setting (please contact the Student Support Team for further details).
- Candidates must be fluent in English with excellent written English Skills in order to achieve the assessment criteria. Queries on the standard required can be directed to the college.
- Learners must be a resident of Ireland / based in Ireland and hold a valid PPS Number.
- As this programme is delivered through distance learning, students must be capable of studying on their own initiative.
- A basic working knowledge of computers in addition to a computer with internet access and word processing software (e.g., Microsoft Word or Google Docs) is required to do the course.
Topics covered in this QQI Infection Prevention and Control course
Unit 1: Understanding Infection
The basics of infection
Types of pathogens
How does infection occur?
Factors that put people at risk of infection
Unit 2: Planning infection prevention and control
Standard precautions and Transmission-based precautions
Developing an infection prevention and control policy
Unit 3: Implementing standard precautions
Respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette
Environmental cleaning and spills
Reprocessing reusable medical devices include
Handling of waste and linen
The disposal of sharps
- This Infection Prevention and Control course is assessed through completion of a Leaner Record, work-based Skills Demonstration and a Theory based Examination.
- As part of our quality assurance, student assessment work will be marked by an Internal Assessor, then checked by an Internal Verifier and an independent QQI External Authenticator.
Transfer and Progression to Further Studies
- This Infection Prevention and Control course leads to a Level 5 component award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use this Level 5 component certificate as credit towards the following QQI Major Award: Level 5 Healthcare Support (5M4339). For more details contact us.
- Following successful completion, you will receive a QQI Level 5 component certificate in Infection Prevention and Control (5N3734) from QQI.
- Quality and Qualifications Ireland (QQI) is the national awarding body for further education and training in Ireland. CMIT is registered with QQI to offer programmes leading to QQI awards in the National Framework of Qualifications in Ireland.