Students who wish to learn the fundamentals of creation for 2D animated productions, will enjoy the practical and creative elements of this course. Students will gain skills around character design, animation and creative development through specialist software. Focusing on both drawing and computer skills, students will understand what is required to develop a complete and successful portfolio.
- Animation Layout Design
- Design Skills
- Animation Drawing Studies
- Work Experience
- Figure Studies
QQI Level 5 in Art 5M1985
Graduates of the Art QQI Award can progress to many degree courses, including; Animation, Art, Film and Television, Graphic Design, Illustration and Production. These can be accessed at several universities and Technological Universities or private college such as TUD, Technological University of the Shannon Athlone and Limerick, Munster Technological University Tralee, Atlantic Technological University Letterkenny, IADT, NCAD, DCU, Maynooth University and Ulster University. There are several courses at QQI Level 6 or HND that students can access, for example at Ballyfermot College. Many graduates seek direct employment within the sector.
- IATD DL832: Animation (Level 8, 4 years)
- Technological University of the Shanon Athlone: AL861 Animation and Illustration (Level 8, 4 Years)
- Ballyfermot College of Further Education: HND Classical and computer Animation (2 Years)
- Technological University of the Shannon Limerick: LC518 Digital Animation Production (Level 8, 4 Years)
- Griffith College: AM-BA Animation (Level 7, 3 Years)
- Atlantic Technological University Letterkenny: LY437 Animation (Level 7, 3 Years)
- Ulster University: WW26 Animation (Level 8, 3 Years)
Leaving Cert or LCA
Mature students of all backgrounds
Other equivalent qualification
Art work portfolio
All applicants may be interviewed regardless of previous qualifications. An interview will be organised for each applicant. Applicants have to be computer literate.