Why take this Course?
Interested in gaining the Maternity Care Support Award which is designed to equip you with the skills, knowledge and interpersonal skills required to assist the midwife in caring for mothers, babies, and the family unit.
A qualification offering the practical skills appropriate for work in a maternity care setting as a Care Assistant. Enhance your career path with excellent opportunities for progression to further and higher education.
What will I Study?
You will gain real-life knowledge, skills and competence required to support the midwife in a maternity facility.
Enrich your learning experience in a diverse learning environment. A friendly welcoming student-centered learning environment with a Professional Midwife who will support, mentor and guide you through the skills, knowledge and understanding of maternity care support.
You will experience demonstrations in specialist equipment, examples include hospital bed, baby cot, hospital trolley, drip and many other items of equipment.
At the end of the course you will:
- Understand health and safety issues in maternity care to include infection prevention and control.
Keep equipment, beds etc. clean in accordance with hospital policy.
- Treat all clients with dignity and respect
- Understand their needs and be aware of any special circumstances relating to individual clients.
Ensure clients receive consistent information.
- Keep information consistent and to refer client to a more senior member of staff where appropriate.
- Learn how to assist mothers during ante partum, intra partum and post partum stages.
Assist mothers in caring for themselves and their babies
- Understand how to prepare for everyday tasks that you will be required to perform and execute efficiently.
- Have a good knowledge of hand washing techniques and the reasons for this.
Understand the importance of keeping the area around mother and baby free from clutter.
An interest in working as a care assistant in a maternity hospital or to gain an understanding of the Nurse Midwife role.
Assessment & Award
A combination of module appropriate assessment methods will facilitate the assessment of learning outcomes on the course. These methods will include an assignment and a skills demonstration. Work experience does not apply to this course.
QQI/FET Maternity Care Support Level 5 Minor Award (Code: 5N3746)
Awarded by: QQI Quality and Qualifications Ireland
Credit Value: 15 ECTS