This course is run on a Tuesday evening 7:30 – 9:30pm and commences on Tuesday 2nd October.
Language and Culture of Russia
Russia is a vast, complex and fascinating country. This course introduces students to its beautiful language and its rich culture. Russia was once described by William Churchill as a “riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma” and this course takes on the challenge of looking deeper and learning the truth that may not be visible in everyday, stereotypical views of the country.
· At the end of the course you will be able to communicate in a variety of settings: greetings, talking about family, travelling to Russia, shopping, conversations about areas of interest to you.
· You will also learn the Russian alphabet; it’s a lot easier than you may think!
· Students will become familiar with aspects of Russian culture: its fantastic musical and literary heritage, its cuisine, its craft and artistic traditions, its often misunderstood history and its profound influence on the progress of science and technology
· Lessons will be practical, focusing on realistic communication.
· Speaking and listening skills will be developed.
· You can have tea from a real Soviet-era samovar.
· Craft – based lessons will be included, Russian Doll making, embroidery.
· Technology will be used where appropriate; iPads and Smartphones can be used (if students are comfortable with them) to enhance learning.
· Native Speaker of Russian
· Teacher of Russian culture and Language in Ireland for ten years
· Leaving Certificate Examiner of Russian
Registration for our courses is available by going onto our school website www.malahidecs.ie and clicking on the ‘Enrol Here’ button on the right-hand-side of the screen, by postal registration using the form on the inside cover of our Programme or on our walk-in enrolment night on Monday 17th September 2018, 7:30pm – 9.00pm. Students can meet the course tutors at this session. Complimentary tea/coffee will also be available at this enrolment/open evening.